Monday, March 24, 2008

Sweet 16?

Okay, so I did decent, I suppose, with my predictions for the first two rounds of NCAA Men's Basketball. My Final Four teams are all still alive, 6-of-8 quarterfinal teams, and 10-of-16 in the coming round.

EAST
Prediction: (1) UNC vs. (4) Washington State
Actual: (1) UNC vs. (4) Washington State
... right on. I took UNC in this round, and after seeing them play in the first 2 rounds I am so not changing that pick. Look for a tough game, but for Carolina to pull it out by 9 in the late second half.

Prediction: (2) Tennessee vs. (11) St. Joe's
Actual: (2) Tennessee vs. (3) Louisville
...I should have seen this one coming, but I didn't want to pick 1-2-3-4. Regardless, I had Tennessee advancing to the Elite Eight, and I still think they can pull it off. Louisville is looking very good, but here's hoping the Vols put up some big numbers, after barely squeaking past Butler. UT by 4.


MIDWEST
Prediction: (1) Kansas vs. (5) Clemson
Actual: (1) Kansas vs. (12) Villanova
Nova is the biggest shock of the Sweet 16, I think. I was SURE Clemson would be here, but I was also sure Kansas would beat them to advance to the Elite Eight. Now I'm VERY sure Kansas will advance to the Elite Eight, and hopefully the championship game, as I predicted. Kansas by 12.

Prediction: (2) Georgetown vs. (3) Wisconsin
Actual: (3) Wisconsin vs. (10) Davidson
Davidson has played strong ball in the first two rounds, and so far the tournament MVP has unquestionably been Stephen Curry, who had 30 points in the SECOND HALF in Davidson's win over Georgetown (40 overall). Curry has been impressive, but Wisconsin looks very, very strong. I had Georgetown advancing to the Elite Eight... so I'm hoping it's Davidson, for the feel-good story, but expecting them to fall down to earth, and taking the Badgers by 9.


SOUTH
Prediction: (1) Memphis vs. (4) Pittsburgh
Actual: (1) Memphis vs. (5) Michigan State
After the way they've played the last month or so, it was a huge shock to see Pitt go down over the weekend. I thought Memphis would go down this round, but to Pitt. The Tigers' freethrow shooting is horrendous, and if it doesn't improve, then the Spartans will surely advance to the Elite Eight. But Im going to try to have a little more faith in the #1 seed, and take them in a nail-biter by 3 points.

Prediction: (2) Texas vs. (3) Stanford
Actual: (2) Texas vs. (3) Stanford
woot woot! I knew these teams were both very strong, but I think the Longhorns are a little stronger. I look for DJ Augustin to lead Texas to the Elite Eight with a 9-point win.


WEST
Prediction: (1) UCLA vs. (4) UConn
Actual: (1) UCLA vs. (12) Western Kentucky
Connecticut losing in the first round cause groans from bracketeers around the country. Western Kentucky lucked out in facing Drake in the second round, but their luck stops here. UCLA hasn't looked as strong as I'd hoped (since they are my pick to win it all) or expected, but I think they will step it up against WKU, show everyone why they are the #1 seed, and easily win the game by 12.

Prediction: (3) Xavier vs. (10) Arizona
Actual: (3) Xavier vs. (7) West Virginia
Sooo off on Arizona, and kicking myself because I was THIS CLOSE to taking West Virginia to the Sweet 16, but was swayed by so-called "Bracketologists" grrrrrrr Either way I lose, but Xavier is one of the most consistent and balanced teams in the tournament, and West Virginia, while they played well their last two games, have been inconsitent all season. I'm going to take Xavier by 5, but wouldn't be shocked either way.

1 comment:

This Sports Chick said...

Wow Jen, this is a very insightful prediction. You are so smart and knowledgeable... and beautiful, too.